The award of hosting rights for two European championships and a new structure for European Athletics’ commissions will top the agenda this weekend in Oslo when President Svein Arne Hansen welcomes the Council to his home town for its first full meeting since its election in April.
Timed so that the members can attend the 50th edition of the Exxon Mobil Bislett Games on 11 June, the 144th European Athletics Council meeting will take place at the Thon Opera Hotel in the centre of Norway’s capital.
Starting on Friday afternoon, the Council will hear reports on the activities of the President and the Executive Board (EXBO) during the first 60 days of their four-year mandate and then decide on the host cities for the 2017 European Athletics U23 Championships and 2017 European Athletics Junior Championships, with representatives of Bydgoszcz/POL and Grosseto/ITA presenting bids for the respective events.
Attention will then turn to the proposed organisation structure for implementing the programme of changes promised in Hansen’s election manifesto. It is expected that the Council will be asked to approve the nominations of the commission members and the terms of reference prepared by the EXBO in recent weeks.
Other items to be addressed over the weekend include:
- Preparation for the IAAF Congress in August;
- Revamping the European Athletics Convention in October and preparations for an Extraordinary Congress to take place during the Convention;
- Preparations for the biggest-ever European Athletics grassroots conference, which will take place in November;
- Support for an Olympic-year team event for the smallest European countries;
- Appointment of the Board members for the newly created European Athletics Marketing AG, a joint venture company that will be responsible for the sales of sponsorship rights linked to European Athletics events and activities;
- A progress report on the construction of the new “House of European Athletics” in Lausanne.
The EXBO, which is led by President Hansen and includes Vice-Presidents Dobromir Karamarinov, Jean Gracia and Frank Hensel, and Director General Christian Milz, will meet Friday morning ahead of the start of the Council meeting.